Saturday, July 30, 2011

2011 Challenge #1


This first challenge had the following requirements:
  • Needed to fit into the approximately 2" by 3" mat opening of the 4" by 6" frame.
  • Your creation is made up entirely of French Knots. 
  • You may cover the entire area or only part of the area. Kathy recommends you give some thought to your ground cloth as the area between French Knots might show, sometimes adding to your design but other times not so. 
Challenge #1 was presented at the July 12th Quarterly Meeting 2011.

Challenge Results:

‘Brain Protein’

This project was inspired by a Spring issue of Chemical and Engineering News. I cut it out because I liked the colors and shapes. I copied the photo onto Inkjet paper and then embroidered the fabric using both regular and long armed French knots.

‘Rabbit Topiary’

I love gardening and being in a garden. I wanted to create an image from a garden and was inspired by the front of an Easter card.


I was thinking about direction and pathway to be chosen. I was inspired to create this design to represent different pathways.

‘It’s Knot Easy’

My inspiration was this beautiful piece of fabric. I found this section and liked the aqua colored swirl in the top left corner. I gathered floss, perle cotton and wool and just started, varying number of strands and placing color.

‘Fly Away Home’

I saw a ladybug button in my sewing room and thought of the nursery rhyme : Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home, Your house is on fire and your children all gone. All except one and that's little Ann, for she crept under the frying pan!

‘A Bee’s View of a Sunflower’

I was inspired by a previous work stitched as a necklace. It was the view looking down into a cyclamen. I knew I wanted to use this bee charm but the rectangular frame required a design change. So the sunflower became the inkjet background for my bee.

"West Smithfield Garden, London"

I took a trip to London to visit my son during the end of June, and loved walking around exploring the area where he is staying. On the last day of my visit, I stumbled upon a beautiful public garden tucked right in the square where he lives.

In Photoshop Elements, I cropped the image down to the urn & bench; and softened the image. Next I printed the image on transfer artist paper (TAP); and ironed the image on to Strafhaven linen. I stitched French Knots in a variety of textured threads and silk ribbon to accent the flowers at the base and top of the urn.

Friday, July 1, 2011


We are part of the Embroiderers' Guild of America, Mid-Atlantic Region.

Although our Guild's main location is in Delaware, we also have members from Pennsylvania and Maryland. 

Please click on the "about us" tab, above, for more details about our Guild!